October 14, 2008

Doing The Green Thing - Take 2!

Are you doing the green thing? Maybe, maybe not but if you're interested in learning about how you can be more green then you'll enjoy http://www.dothegreenthing.com

I've just been checking out their latest update to the site, scheduled to be released in a couple of weeks. Dothegreenthing offers up some great idesas and encourages users to:
walk the walk - get around without maching power
stay grounded - less air travel and less CO2 emmission
smarter consuming - shop wise
easy on the meat - do you know how much water it takes to create feed for cows??? It's downright amazing!
human heat - turn down the heat and put on a sweater or jumper
plug out - stop leaving on all those electronic devices
Stick with what you have and don't consume so much - why update that laptop every six months just so you can look cool??


Below is a video from the new site introducing you to the Green Thing and showing you just how easy it is to be more green


Meet Green Thing from Red Davis on Vimeo.

I've been a member for a few weeks now but I've been "green" for much longer than that. I'm happy to say that over the past year I've managed to get my electric and gas bills down about 20% just by being more aware of the power that I'm consuming. Other green things I've done:
- changed out all the lights to enviro friendly bulbs
- unplugging cell phone cables and only using energy efficient cables
- more recycling (my weekly curbside recylsing is about 3 or 4X greater than any of my neighbors - you tell me, how can one family of 5 produce only one little bag of recycling material in a week??
- smarter driving including better routes, fewer trips, more ride share, more walking
- composting garden materials
- not purchasing products with huge, wasteful packaging

No comments: