August 31, 2006

how to grab attention... get bought out by Nokia!

An observation... I noticed this morning that virtually every Geo newspub has picked up on some PR about Nokia's purchase of German-based Gate5 - these guys are the developers of the smart2go travel guides - a mobile navigation solution. This is all cool but what I find somewhat odd is that we've pretty much never seen Gate5 mentioned on the "GIS" pubs prior to this eventhough they've been around for years. Now that Nokia has them it's front page news.. weird. I guess it is great for all of us though as the acquisition means that navigation will now be making it to decks as they are shipped, bringing mobile navigation and directions to the finger tips of users. FYI, Gate5 are in fact regularly referenced on LBS focused publications and ezines. I recently mention them myself on lbszone.com and symbianone.com - they were even one of my first advertisers helping to get symbianone.com off the ground. For more on Gate5 see http://www.gate5.de/

No comments: