I just returned from Denver where I took in the Autodesk Realize Your Possibilities event - a travelling roadshow put on by Autodesk staff. The event served to inform users and would-be users about the possibilities brought about by using the latest apps - in my case, I took in the Geospatial track which looked at the GIS solutions - AutoCAD Map 3D, Raster Design, MapGuide, and Design Review.
Some of the coolest features available to users of the AutoCAD Map 3D solution include:
- fast data access enabled via the FDO technology - we saw a 1.5 GB image draw, redraw etc.. in seconds - on a normal laptop!
- simple output to DWF or publish to the web - author and serve to MapGuide session in seconds
- viewing DWF within the free AutoCAD design review enabling layers, redlines, measure tools, geographic coordinates, view attributes, and even plug-in a GPS!
- native read/write of multiple data formats include ESRI
- simple command access and access to GIS data analysis tools (ie. fast query building, thematic map production, and output)
I could go on but I'll have to wait till I pour over my notes and handouts. Nice job to Pete Southwood or Autodesk (aka. the Male version of Lynn Allen!)
Let me leave you with some useful weblinks: