December 27, 2007

Not what you do but how you do it...

I was just browsing a reporter's look at the iPhone and noticed a line that really rings true for what developers need to think about as we head into 2008... "It's not just what the gadget [or app] does that makes it a life-changing device, it's HOW it does it"... the review is a bit fluffy but indeed the writer hit it right on. This is what Nokia has been fighting for some time and likely why they haven't yet penetrated the N.A market yet. Good words to think about as you develop your next webmap, mashup, software update etc... keep it simple and set your user experience apart from all the others. It's those simple things that make a big difference... for example, when I load my maps app on my N95 it should automatically come up where I am located NOW... not where I was last time I used the app, or maybe if I create a linkedIn group it should be easy to locate and link to rather than the way it works (or doesn't work) now, etc...



Make it simple so anyone can use it!

No comments: