October 20, 2008

Now Official from USCIS - the 3 Year NAFTA TN Visa

This from the USCIS - USCIS Increases Period of Stay for Trade NAFTA Professional Workers from Canada and Mexico

WASHINGTON — U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has increased the maximum period of time a Trade-NAFTA (TN) professional worker from Canada or Mexico may remain in the United States before seeking readmission or obtaining an extension of stay. This final rule changes the initial period of admission for TN workers from one to three years, making it equal to the initial period of admission given to H-1B professional workers. Eligible TN nonimmigrants may now be allowed to receive extensions of stay in increments of up to three years instead of the prior maximum period of stay of one year.

The TN nonimmigrant classification is visa category available to eligible Mexicans and Canadians with at least a bachelor’s degree or appropriate professional credentials who work in certain qualified fields pursuant to the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Qualified professions identified within NAFTA include, but are not limited to, accountants, engineers, attorneys, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers.

This final rule will ease administrative burdens and costs on TN workers. It will also benefit U.S. employers by increasing the amount of time TN nonimmigrants will be able to work for them before having to seek an extension of status. Spouses and unmarried minor children of TN nonimmigrants in their corresponding nonimmigrant classifications will also benefit from the new regulation.

This improvement to the TN nonimmigrant category was initially announced by Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and Department of Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez on Aug. 10, 2007. The effort is one of the 26 initiatives identified by President Bush’s Administration to address current immigration challenges using the tools and authorities available under existing law.

For more information on the TN nonimmigrant visa program or to view the final rule, visit the USCIS Web site or call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283.
Related Files - see http://www.uscis.gov

1 comment:

devin said...

Alright! There is that "official" word I was waiting for. Now all I have to do is find a US employer and convince them to hire me on the TN visa...should be a little easier now that it's 3 years!!

I guess its time to pound the pavement! Are you aware of any companies that hire there fair share of TN visa holders?? My wife and I have picked out some states that we would relocate to, mainly southern as we are sick of the snow and cold in Manitoba! Thanks Glenn!!!